Sunday, September 9, 2012

Modern Line Painting

I've recently become very interested in modern art and started looking around Pinterest for some inspiration.

I absolutely fell in love with this painting...

http://thenewdomestic.com/2010/03/weekend-art-project/
Source
I figured it seemed easy enough to try out!

I gathered my supplies, most of which I already had. I just needed thin tape. I ran to AC Moore and grabbed 1/4inch artist tape for $3.19.


I had previously purchased the canvas, paint and pallet at Michaels Craft Store. I used Artists Loft Acrylic Paint. At the time of purchase they had a sale on the paints 3 for $9! I don't remember the exact cost of the canvas, as it was purchased before this blog was conceived, but I know it was under $10 and it was buy one get one!

I kept the original painting I saw in mind but I figured I would just start placing the tape down and see what happens.


Progress was being made, but fair warning make sure to have the tape cover the sides as well. 
Unless you are planning to frame it, the sides will be visible!


Once I was satisfied I took my paint out and visually planned out my color placement. My plan was to have the overall color be red and the accent pieces to be gray. I decided to start with the red and see what happens. 



It was starting to come together! One key thing to remember is that paint can get under the tape so the best thing to do is to take the brush with paint on it and start on top of the tape (being mindful to not go out of the line!) It takes some patience.

Once I did two coats of red, I started with the gray. I mixed some white in to make it a bit lighter as I had used the gray in a previous project and I knew it was much darker than I prefer.

**Cost Saving Measure: When possible, mix paints together to get your desired color instead of going out and buying a whole new tube of paint.


 I let the paint dry and anxiously awaited the big reveal...


I started to peel away the tape and noticed some of the paint still came through, but I was able to touch it up and it looked great!


Done! I love the overall look and for only spending $3.19 and using supplies I already had, not a bad little project on a Sunday afternoon!


2 comments:

  1. Hey, I've got that Van Halen album!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I didn't know there was a cover like this! Is it very similar??

      Delete