Monday, September 3, 2012

Grunge Textured Painting

So one Saturday evening I got the craft bug and wanted to include Michael's 14-year-old daughter Tori. She loves art and wanted to get more art work for her new bedroom at her mom's house. 

I had found these cool pictures on Pinterest.

http://southernbellesoulmountainbrideheart.blogspot.com/
http://southernbellesoulmountainbrideheart.blogspot.com/
http://southernbellesoulmountainbrideheart.blogspot.com/

I knew Tori would be game. She loves posting quotes on Facebook and Instagram so this would be perfect.

We ran to AC Moore to gather supplies. I already had a canvas, paint and a magazine so all we needed was Vinyl letters. We chose 1'' letters - they come in a variety of different sizes. 

We went home and decided on colors. She chose green for her background so we ripped through the magazine to find all green pieces. I had her choose a quote that she wanted to use and realized we didn't have enough letters. Back to AC Moore I went to pick up another package. Always plan out how many letters you need, saves you time and gas!

Once she cut out enough paper she began to adhere the pieces to the canvas with my Paper-Source PVA glue that I bought a while back. PVA glue is great for decoupage projects but it is $12.95 and far too expensive for what it is. Modge Podge does the trick and is cheaper, under $10. To adhere she brushed a small amount of PVA on the canvas and placed the pieces on top. We were going for a textured look so the corners of the pieces of paper did not need to be completely stuck. The point is to not have the pieces come off when painting on top. (I had planned on taking pictures throughout the process, but we got wrapped up in the project and I forgot. I am new at this!)

About an hour later she started to figure out where she wanted to place her quote and how long each line would be. That's when Michael stepped in to offer some advice, we had 2'' letters and her quote was a bit long so we needed to make sure we broke the quote up correctly so it would fit. Once that was taken care of we started from the bottom and went backwards placing the letters. We wanted it to be straight so we made a small pen line to place the letters on. Make sure to put the letters slightly above the line so you don't see it in the final phase.

Once all the letters were set she used gray acryllic paint and covered the canvas. I suggested using a little white paint as well to give it some movement. Once it was dry (we were impatient and wanted to see the reveal and started peeling away a little too early) I suggest waiting till it is completely dry. We slowly removed the letters and this is what we saw. 



The darker greens made it a little harder to read but overall for our first run I think it came out pretty awesome. Tori loved it and I'm sure it is now hanging in her bright blue room at home. I'm hoping we make a few more and some can be in her room at our place. 

Breakdown
All materials were laying around the house so I don't have a total cost breakdown. 
The only thing purchased to complete the project were the vinyl letters. 
Cost: $2.49/pkg
Total cost for 2: $4.98

Not bad for some homemade art!


No comments:

Post a Comment