Friday, September 28, 2012

IKEA Spice Rack Bookshelf

I have been a bit MIA lately with a crazy work schedule, sorry for the lack of posts. I've been been working on several projects and I am very excited about my latest "craft." A few months ago I had purchased two IKEA BEKVAN Spice Racks ($3.99 ea).

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40070185/
Source


They really didn't fit my needs in my kitchen so they basically became holders for my wristlets and wallets. I had been searching around Pinterest for spice rack ideas figuring I would just DIY my own when I stumbled upon this.

http://pinterest.com/pin/117797346472900033/
Source
GENIUS! I had been looking for bookshelves for James' room (Michael's three-year-old son). I could have gone the easy route and just hung them as is like the picture but of course I wanted to jazz them up. I started this project before the blog so step-by-step pics are not available, sorry! I primed them with Valspar primer spray paint ($3.98) and let it dry overnight. I wanted to use one of James' favorite colors so I went with Valspar's bright red spray paint ($3.98). I did two coats and let it dry for a few days, it was humid at the time so they were tacky to the touch. 

I left the hanging to Michael, power tools and I don't always get along. I absolutely love the final product!

Don't mind the mess of toys in the bins!





We wanted the shelves low enough so James could access them and I think Michael chose the best spot in the room. Overall, I am very pleased with the way these came out!

Breakdown
2 IKEA Spice Racks @ $3.99ea: $7.98
Valspar Primer Spray Paint: $3.98
Valspar Bright Red Spray Paint: $3.98
TOTAL: $15.94

Stay tuned for some more kids room decor and a post about paintable wallpaper coming soon! Have a great weekend all!

1 comment: